Kakadu National Park is home to about one third of Australia’s bird species, and a staggering 60 different species can be found in the Wetlands. Together with the stunning scenery, the area is best viewed and savoured by taking a Yellow Water Cruise.
Located at the end of Jim Jim Creek, Yellow Water Billabong flows into the South Alligator River, which is made up of swamps, floodplains and river channels. C
The landlocked billabong of Yellow Water or “Ngurrungurrudjba” is positioned near the small settlement of Cooinda and is approximately 304 km from Darwin, via the small town of Jibiru.
Yellow Water Sunrise Cruise
Yellow Water Cruises has exclusive use of Yellow Water Billabong and operate all year with up to 6 cruises a day of varying lengths. We took a 2 hour Sunrise Cruise which leaves the jetty at 06.45 am and includes breakfast at Cooinda Lodge.
Below are my top 5 sights that you will experience during the cruise.
Watching as the sun started rising, heralding the start of a new day was amazing. The early morning mist gently lifted and made way for the brilliant orange and golden hues of the sun to make its grand entrance.
The light was just right to reflect the trees onto the still water, which I always find stunning. It was akin to looking at a true mirror image, so you were able to appreciate the tree form twice!
The Billabong has beautiful scenery which went on and on around every corner. The surface has striking waterlillies in stunning shades of pink and white, across which little birds hopped.
Myriad Of Birds
The dawn chorus was enthralling to hear, as the Billabong is brimming with an abundance of bird species. Our guide stopped every time he saw a different bird to point out and the colours of their feathers and bodies were vibrant.
Cruising Yellow Water gives visitors a great opportunity to view Saltwater Crocodiles in their natural habitat, from the safety of a boat. The ones we saw were reasonably small and didn’t approach the boat.
How To Get There
- Take the turn-off for Cooinda from the Kakadu Highway, and follow the road to the end where you will arrive at Cooinda Lodge. The main office is the tour pick up point, so is a great place to stay over the night before.
How Much Does The Cruise Cost?
- For availability and prices (In AUS $) on cruises, check out the official Kakadu Tourism Website. The Sunrise Cruise costs $99 per adult with breakfast.
What Are The Accommodation Options In The Area?
- Cooinda Lodge has 48 spacious air-conditioned rooms with full bathroom facilities, television and are great for families.
- Cooinda Camping Ground and Caravan Park caters for all budgets. We stayed here and the facilities were spotless.
- If you are looking for 4 star accommodation try Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel which is located in Jabiru.
Other Places Worth A Visit
- Be sure to check out Warradjan Indigenous Cultural Centre, located 1 km from Cooinda Lodge. Developed by the Aboriginal traditional owners of Kakadu, there is a wealth of displays and information of great interest to visitors.
Have You Been On A Cruise along Yellow Water Billabong?
PIN TO SHARE :